Cosplaying Tangara

I've wanted to make a functional version of the Wendell & Wild's boombox for some time and I think the tangara might help by providing most of the guts.

In practice, I would have 3 parts or 4 parts. Speakers would be connected through jack. Volume meter might piggy back on that or be connected to a "faceplate" alongside the top buttons. It would have plenty of space so I could probably have a mnt reform battery providing power for extra power to the speaker and/or extra long playing session.

The tape part would probably be the hardest if going old school but I have other plan. What I like about the tape is the object, not exactly the medium. So I could replace the tape player by a pitch edge card connector, make a PCB that's simply 2 SD card reader with each exposing its contact on one side, a 3D printed shell looking like a tape shell. I would get an object that looks and feel like an audio tape in hand, it would have two face for two playlist with much larger capacity than a tape. The edge connector would expose one side of the connected PCB as an SD card, like one of these SD card extender, which can be plugged in the tangara.
What a fun project!!

I would rec getting a PCB made from JLC that breaks out the faceplate connector into a plain old pin header. I used such a thing for debugging, and it would make it very easy to bodge together everything you need for something like this from ordinary components.

Depending on the power requirements of the speakers you use you *might* need another amplifier stage... I'm kind of curious to see how Taylor's internal speaker hack goes in that respect. It might be fine, I'm not just sure!
The faceplate exposing pins is a nice suggestion. Maybe also add enough buttons to have ipod shuffle functionnality so the tangara can be removed and used without replacing the faceplate.