Case Customisation and Themes
the one minute bath is a nice news Big Grin I uses to work in a 3 printing shop that dyed SLS print and the process was a couple of hours long.

I wonder if the dye would creep up the polycarbonate through capilarity... If so, I might try to submerge one corner in ine color then the opposite corner in another color. Another experience would be to tie a nylon cord round the shell and drop the end of the cord in the dye to see if we can dye from the middle.
I started messing with some custom themes, going full black and purple, also some icon customization.

(2024-03-17, 10:54 AM)gkr Wrote: the one minute bath is a nice news Big Grin I uses to work in a 3 printing shop that dyed SLS print and the process was a couple of hours long.

I wonder if the dye would creep up the polycarbonate through capilarity... If so, I might try to submerge one corner in ine color then the opposite corner in another color. Another experience would be to tie a nylon cord round the shell and drop the end of the cord in the dye to see if we can dye from the middle.
Since the dye takes so fast brushing it on is almost certainly an option to get some cool effects.
damn that's looking fucken SLICK
(2024-03-17, 05:14 PM)nanocodebug Wrote: I started messing with some custom themes, going full black and purple, also some icon customization.

oh woooooow that's gorgeous. i love all those colours together. are you using the themes branch of the firmware or just rolling your own? either way, i'm so impressed.

(also what's that touchwheel cover? is it dark blue or black? i would love one in a dark colour for myself)
(2024-03-17, 10:03 PM)ailurux Wrote:
(2024-03-17, 05:14 PM)nanocodebug Wrote: I started messing with some custom themes, going full black and purple, also some icon customization.

oh woooooow that's gorgeous. i love all those colours together. are you using the themes branch of the firmware or just rolling your own? either way, i'm so impressed.

(also what's that touchwheel cover? is it dark blue or black? i would love one in a dark colour for myself)

There's a theme branch?! I'm messing around with what's in main right now locally, learning how LVGL works. I should push my local to codeberg or something so the display issue I was having with the variant of the st7735r I bought is at least documented somewhere.

Touchwheel is OSHPark purple, their thin option is a bit thicker at 0.8mm but they are the nearest manufacturer to me. It's working I think? My sweaty hands don't do well with touch controls sometimes so I'm not sure whats assembly issues on my part or the slightly thicker PCB I sourced. Next customization I should do is a front panel with physical buttons.
(2024-03-17, 10:30 PM)nanocodebug Wrote: There's a theme branch?! I'm messing around with what's in main right now locally, learning how LVGL works. I should push my local to codeberg or something so the display issue I was having with the variant of the st7735r I bought is at least documented somewhere.

https://codeberg.org/cool-tech-zone/tang...nch/themes

It's quite WIP atm. I'm still figuring out the best way to account for things like image changes, and I need to make it work with more LVGL widgets, but if you wanted to check it out I wouldn't mind some early feedback on it. Ideally I want people to not have to touch C++ at all to make theme changes, and have it all in lua. Long term I want to have the themes be loaded from the SD card so they're easy to share with others, as well as being able to set themes (and maybe some theme defaults like bg and highlight colour) in the settings too.
(2024-03-18, 12:51 AM)ailurux Wrote:
(2024-03-17, 10:30 PM)nanocodebug Wrote: There's a theme branch?! I'm messing around with what's in main right now locally, learning how LVGL works. I should push my local to codeberg or something so the display issue I was having with the variant of the st7735r I bought is at least documented somewhere.

https://codeberg.org/cool-tech-zone/tang...nch/themes

It's quite WIP atm. I'm still figuring out the best way to account for things like image changes, and I need to make it work with more LVGL widgets, but if you wanted to check it out I wouldn't mind some early feedback on it. Ideally I want people to not have to touch C++ at all to make theme changes, and have it all in lua. Long term I want to have the themes be loaded from the SD card so they're easy to share with others, as well as being able to set themes (and maybe some theme defaults like bg and highlight colour) in the settings too.

Oh this is fun! I see the image recoloring and gradients, I'll mess around with themeing system.
I'm partial to monochrome icons so I've been working on some custom battery icons, it would be neat if themes could extend to include icons on SD too (in some future).
(2024-03-20, 09:33 PM)nanocodebug Wrote: it would be neat if themes could extend to include icons on SD too (in some future).

the future is now!

Code:
→ lua
Lua 5.4.4  Copyright (C) 1994-2023 Lua.org, PUC-Rio
luarepl 0.10 Copyright (C) 2011-2015 Rob Hoelz
>> cool_file = io.open("/sdcard/file.txt", "w")
>> cool_file:write("i'm gay!")
file (0x3ffb6968)
>> cool_file:close()
true
>> cool_file = io.open("/sdcard/file.txt", "r")
>> cool_file:read()
"i'm gay!"
>>

(it may be slightly unstable atm, as there's a mutex needed to safely touch the sd card, and lua isn't currently acquiring it. also lvgl needs a second leading slash at the start of paths. but still! only very marginal work needed!)
(2024-03-20, 09:33 PM)nanocodebug Wrote: Oh this is fun! I see the image recoloring and gradients, I'll mess around with themeing system.
I'm partial to monochrome icons so I've been working on some custom battery icons, it would be neat if themes could extend to include icons on SD too (in some future).

Thanks!

Yeah, I hoped to be able to use styles directly to set image sources. Unfortunately afaict lvgl 8.3 doesn't support changing the img_src from styles, which is odd to me because it *does* support bg_img_src as a style property.

I think most likely what I'll end up doing for icons and images will be searching first in the theme directory for any overridden icons -- assuming each theme has its own directory with some optional images -- and if a theme provides them use those, otherwise use some inbuilt ones.

I'm also planning on replacing the battery icon with a white monochrome version that can be recoloured, or at least providing that as another option. We didn't actually know back when we designed those icons that lvgl could do image recolouring on our hardware. Tongue