Share your music players!
Hey, do you have any other standalone devices for playing music? I'd love to see them, whether they're digital or even analog! Heart

I'll start! I have two 4th generation iPods, one's color and one's monochrome, both 20GB, from a few years ago when they weren't as hard to find on eBay for reasonable prices. The monochrome one unfortunately won't power on...  Sad It's perhaps due to the third-party replacement battery I'm using, my color one is lucky enough to still have a working original battery so I didn't need to replace it, shame because I much prefer the monochrome one! I've been wanting to try swapping their batteries to see if it makes a difference, but last time I tried I couldn't get it unplugged so I gave up lol

I've never had any luck charging them over USB, but a few months ago I got a FireWire charger and it works perfectly, that seems to be a common thing for the 4th gens

The inspiration and the new fancy:

Every so often I unlock the iPod just to check that it's still on almost full charge, with the last thing I was listening to paused. It's a shame they've gotten so expensive over the last few years (tho it's good for me I suppose!)
I've got this Hiby R3 Pro that I don't love, next to a Playdate for scale Big Grin

The Hiby is nicely compact and has great battery life, but it's really slow to start up and *really* slow to update its database after I add music.  And the UI and queue management are pretty terrible.

I loved my iPod Classic, and I used it all the time, but it went to family years ago.  I've had a couple other players, but the only other one I loved was my chonky Creative Nomad Jukebox.  It was too big to carry around much, but it was great for car use.
I took this pic the other day to show what I currently use for listening. I also have a sony walkman cassette player but it's stopped working at some point, and I still need to find the time to figure out why.

Wired IEM's: Moondrop Chu II
Cassette Player: I'm not entirely sure, it was a gift from Jacqueline to replace aforementioned sony walkman
Headphones: Bose QC35
Music Player: Tangara obvs lol
Bluetooth earphones: Skullcandy Method Active
A couple of my favourite albums on cassette: Suede - Coming Up and Jeff Buckley - Grace

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Found the plans for this one online and assembled it, I think it's called the Tangara?
I don't have any other portable music players at the moment, though I still have my DS which I did use as an mp3 player for a while through a flashcart.

omg nanocodebug is that a melodio self-mate??
(2024-03-13, 07:43 AM)jacqueline Wrote: omg nanocodebug is that a melodio self-mate??
Wait, seriously, did somebody already rip this off?
had to grab some images from search but

My first one? A Rio PMP 500. Yeah with the Smart Media Cards and weird proprietary USB connector. Look it was amazing in 1999.

After that I had an Archos Gmini XS 200 which frankly I loved but unfortunately broke the screen 😩

I still have the 1.8" PATA drive out of this on my desk, it's cute.

I still have this Sandisk Sansa Clip (first gen before the QA went to total shit) around somewhere and I use it sometimes but it's not the expandable version so it only holds 8 GB of music. That's still a decent amount of music but I wanna bring ALL of it y'know? Tried buying a new one and it started once and then died forever the second time I turned it on, this is apparently very common. They feel like there's nothing at all inside now, which impressive bc it was a small light device to start.

My current player is a Fiio MK3s (pictured), before I've had some old MP3 player from Philips but I've unfortunately lost that while moving somewhere Sad

When I'm at home I listen to Beyerdynamic DT-990 or T1 gen3, on the go I have Fiio FHS1 and in the last year or so I'm more and more using noise canceling Sony WH-100XM4 when I'm outside.

[Image: rvHZVdi.jpeg]

this is my sweet lil md player, i made the bag myself - it's a JVC / Victor XM-S5, with the remote from a JVC / Victor XM-ZX5 - the battery life is great, and it drives my moondrop ssrs really nicely
[Image: zCFDmUD.jpeg]